Search Engine Submission
Search engine submission is the process of saying to search engines “hey, there is a new website over here. Come and look at it“. Site submission doesn’t guarantee you of first-page position on Google, but it puts your site in the search results pages. You only need to do this if your site is brand new and you have no links coming to it. Read more about submission here. Submission URLs follow:
- Google Add URL
- Yahoo – Now powered by Bing (see below)
- Bing Submit Site (formerly MSN. This is a Microsoft search engine)
OK, that was easy, what’s next?
Linking: “Inbound” or “Back Links”
You need links: lots of them. Go to each of the sites below, create an account and add your business details. Record all the login user names and passwords you use, so you can return and update your business listing later, say if you change a phone number or postal address. The main directory sites are:
Minor directory sites that you could also add your business details to include:
… and any others you can find for free. You need a lot of inbound, one-way links: not 10 links, but 100.
Note that the large directory sites have approached Google about the structure of their sites and are working with Google to get their content listed highly on the Google results pages. This works for Google as well, as there is no easy way to spam results in these directories as an account and verification is required. This creates more “trusted” content for Google.
What Else Can I do?
- You can make sure your offline marketing (business cards and outdoor signs) carry your web address in large writing. People often forget this obvious and important step
- You can buy Google Ads. A minimum budget of around $300 a month is required
- You can start a spam compliant email list, or email out to existing contacts, best done in Mailchimp
- You can start blogging (article writing). This site has many articles related to the web.
- You can post on social media, best done with an infographic
- More on web marketing here: www.dynamicwebs.co.nz/category/search-engines
- Learn more about search engine ranking